Friday, July 30, 2010

Carne Asada Reminiscence

I've had a pretty good week, so far. Work is, actually, working out for me, again. I'm enjoying my time there. It's an on-off, love-hate relationship with work. He gets a little boring. You know how writers can suffer from writers' block? Yeah, well I'm encountering a cooking block. Cookers' block. Whatever. I've lost the need to cook. I feel useless. The other night, I was so damn lazy, I made myself a grilled cheese sandwich for dinner. I had food. I had the meats and the unmeats (wtf unmeats), the produce, the seasonings, the flavorfuls, the I-couldn't-live-my-life-without-this utensils. I just couldn't put it together. So in the time, I was preparing almost nothing for dinner, I was remembering how I used to eat carne asada fries all the time. In high school. Of course I was skinnier then, and my metabolism faster, but really, ALL the time. My little threesome and I walked down to the taco shop after school, bought a whole order, walked back up to the lunch area, and ate. There was no way we could possibly down an order for each of us. It was pretty shameful to eat a whole plate of carne asada fries. I mean, carbs, fat, cheese, sour cream, and more cheese. I think the guacamole was cancelled out. With that being said, this was probably the most unhealthy yet popular dish in high school. This and a California burrito, which is basically carne asada fries wrapped in a burrito. Hooray for carbs. 


Carne Asada Fries
Adapted from Simply Recipes

1 lb thin cut meat
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 jalapeƱo, diced
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 handful of cilantro
1 lime, juiced
1 tbsp white vinegar
1/4 tsp sugar
1/4 cup olive oil

half a bag of frozen french fries
guacamole
sour cream
shredded mexican cheese
lots of hot sauce!

Mix all the marinade ingredients together and let the meat sit overnight. Before cooking the meat, prepare the fries. While the fries are cooking, grill or pan fry the meat. When the meat is done, dice then sprinkle on top a plate of fries. Spread guacamole over the meat, then the sour cream, and finally the cheese. Place under the broiler for two minutes, until the cheese is melted. Add hot sauce and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment